Thursday, June 25, 2009

Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't eat meat, but I do enjoy dairy here and there. Regardless, I love vegan baked goods. Not only do I think they taste incredible (I find most baked goods overly sweet and indulgent), I love the challenge of substituting ingredients to make a healthier, but just as delicious dessert that could fool even the biggest critics (e.g. my 19 year old brother).

We have come to love having these cookies around our apartment, and after many batches, I have nailed down what I think is a winner. I just wish I felt bad about eating these for dinner.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 bananas, mashed (the riper, the better!)
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat together peanut butter and banana (no need for an electric mixer, by hand is fine!). Add honey, vanilla extract, and sugars and blend until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add dry ingredients bit by bit to the peanut butter mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. With wet hands, roll balls to smooth them out and then press to flatten them. Bake for 10-12 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment