Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Introducing... Alpaca

I posted two new items in the shop today which I'm excited to say fall under a brand new sub-category of gloves: alpaca!

.
LUXURY line // alpaca gloves (red and plum) $32

My love of alpaca dates back to what I consider to be my first legitimate and break-through knitting project (following 2+ years of dicking around making up scarves and ridiculous hats). It was a gigantic triangle shawl from Greetings from Knit Cafe, made from Blue Sky Sport Baby Alpaca. Although it was incredibly tedious and took months to finish, I love, love, loved it and I still do. It was the first project that required me to turn my back on Michael's and shop at a real big girl knit shop. I was instantly hooked on alpaca's incredible softness, warmth, and drape. Working with such a luxurious fabric made for an entirely different knitting experience. There was no going back!

Anxious to do something with some alpaca I had stashed, I worked up a variation on my traditional fingerless mitts one evening while watching some undoubtedly terrible TV. After several tries, I came up with a picot edging in scraps of merino wool that I was happy with. There they were, my brand new sub-category.

Welcome to K.M. Knits, little glovelettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment